May Book Club is a Book Club Twist…
We are focusing on 4 Published (short) Articles on Restaurant Workers. With the Restaurant Association pushing for a bill that would apply different minimum wage laws to tipped workers, it is worth some thoughtful consideration!
We’re mixing it up a bit this month by reading three articles addressing the politics of workers in restaurants! The reading is short, but the discussion will be rich.
See Below for PDFs of the Articles!
For February Book club we will be discussing: Why Do All the Black Kids Sit Together in the Cafeteria? by Beverly Daniel. See below for more on the book, talks with the author, and resources for antiracism work in many contexts!
- The Anti-Racist Cookbook, A Recipe Guide for Conversations About Race That Goes Beyond Covered Dishes and “Kum-Bah-Ya” by Robin Parker and Pamela Smith Chambers (2005)
- *Black Pioneers in a White Denomination by Mark D. Morrison-Reed (1980)
- Dismantling Racism, The Continuing Challenge to White America by Joseph Barndt (1991)
- *Can We Talk About Race? And Other Conversations in an Era of School Regregation by Beverly Daniel Tatum, Ph.D (2007)
- *SOUL WORK, Anti-Racist Theologies in Dialogue edited by Marjorie Bowens-Wheatley and Nancy Palmer-Jones (2003)
- *Uprooting Racism, How White People Can Work For Racial Justice by Paul Kivel (2002)
Links and Articles:
- Universitas Book Review
- Anti-Oppression Resources: Books and Readings List
- DISMANTLING RACISM: A RESOURCE BOOK FOR SOCIAL CHANGE GROUPS
- Feministe Feedback: Suggestions for Anti-Racist Resources
Feel free to add comments with suggestions for more books and resources!